1. What did you do in 2017 that you’d never done before?
Rode the Surfliner up the Pacific Coast. I had wanted to do it when I lived out west but never got around to it. It surpassed my expectations – I loved it.
Visited Chicago for the first time – great city. Loved the architecture.
Sat in an outdoor thermal pool while it was snowing. So cool, Literally.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for this year?
I never make those. I feel obligated to so many things that I can’t add one more thing to the pile. Although, it’s pretty clear I have loads of things to improve upon!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
One friend had the cutest bebe & I got to snuggle her when they visited me at work.
4. Did anyone close to you pass away?
A friend who was like family. J
5. What countries did you visit?
Australia, Japan, Mexico (first time!) & Canada.
6. What would you like to have next year that you lacked in this one?More peace of mind. The past couple of years ended up being really transitional. When all was was said & done, I stayed on and permanently landed on my feet in a much better place personally & professionally. Now that I’ve “arrived”, I should probably stop the constant contingency planning.
7. What dates from this year will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
1/1 – Shrine visit; 1/2 – met my niece for the first time; 1/12 – final job interview; 7/2 – met my my other niece for the first time. BTW, being auntie is pretty much the BEST gig ever!! <3!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
So nerdy. Implementing a completely unfamiliar database for my department basically on my own.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Any number of things on a regular basis!
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Garden variety colds and the usual stress stomachaches. Otherwise, I’ve been blessed with superhuman health.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Warm winter boots with ice picks in the soles. I can’t take the cold but Canadians have great tools to make it more manageable!
12. Where did most of your money go?
13. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The possibility of moving back to California. I never wanted to leave in the first place but practicality brought me back East. As time had progressed, I had relegated myself to the fact I probably would be in Boston until further notice. Honestly, my quality of life is super high & there’s lots of opportunities. So, there was no reason to up end anything, especially since I was still paying off my student loans (This whole thing of struggling with student loans has always been thing, at least in my circles. I’m glad people are finally paying attention to the fact that most salaries won’t enable you to pay them back in a timely fashion, never mind “live the American Dream” or take on a “dream job” #radio #haha). Anyway, a couple of years ago, I paid the loans off & ended up with a skill set in relatively high demand .
This past summer, I did a quick drive by of my old hometown with Phil. He loved it way more than I ever could. Now, he wants to move there 😍. We may never do it but the fact that it’s actually possibility has brought me an amazing sense of peace that I didn’t know I needed.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
about the same – well, maybe richer since most of my $$ is going into savings
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Complain. Even I find my whinging rather boring, pointless, and complete waste of energy. Like I start whinging, and I’m all, “why I am doing this?”.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
Made radio magic
BUT…I did see so many friends around the actual day. My social life was robust around the holidays and I loved it!
19. Did you fall in love this year?
The longer we’re together, the better it gets. I never thought it was possible but I love him more & more every day.
20. What was your favourite TV program?
I loved the second season of “Master of None”. The “Thanksgiving” episode gave me allllll the feels. All of them. “Cute and smart! You don’t get those together.”,
The best show – hands down – “Offspring”. If you were ever curious about how my mind works, Nina Proudman is where it’s at. Most of the story lines & 100% of the internal dialogue.
#subtleperve #becool #coolwithaK
21. What was the best book you read?
I have a massive stack of books on my bedside table. There were 3 I couldn’t put down:
L’Appart by David Lebovitz; Ever dreamt of moving overseas & getting 100% settled into your new homeland? Bring a sense of humor.
Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance: I would never want to be president of this county. We are front & foremost capitalist, along with being huge, which gives way to many different pockets of culture. There’s no way you could ever unify everyone…maybe if everyone had a stable income that allotted for basic security? Who knows. For now, I’d rather have a career of picking up trash with a stick that has a nail on the end of it than lead the free world. Anyway, this quick read gives a voice to people who don’t often get to step up to the podium.
Gjelina by Travis Lett: My friend sent me this as a gift and it will forever remind me of sitting in the back of Gjusta, eating off each other’s plates on a warm night. <3!
22. What was your favourite film?
Scoop!: I saw it on a plane but is totally worth tracking down. It’s about a paparazzo journalist who ends up with this amazing story. Lots of great shots of Tokyo.
Papa ou Maman: This a French film that would probably never get made here. A set of parents are divorcing and they are letting their kids pick the parent with whom they’d like to live. Both of them go out of their way to behave horribly to make them choose the other parent.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I worked on a tv commercial for work! Extra long day but fun way to enter year 44.
24. What kept you sane?
Walking? Because the T is such crap, I end up walking home usually. It’s a good way to clear the cobwebs & get caught up on music or podcasts.
25. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Matthew Le Nevez #damn
My grandmother. I miss her every day. It’s been 14 years. I guess you learn to live around the feelings vs. getting over them.